Events Shop Audio / Video Umbro.com USL Home USL Home Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog Facebook Twitter Blog RSS RSS RSS News Stats Scoreboard
Share | |
Biello back for 16th campaign
Impact also re-sign Leduc to two-year deal

Montreal Impact News Release - www.montrealimpact.com

Monday, January 5, 2008

MONTREAL, QC -- Two days before kicking off training camp, the Montreal Impact announced Monday that team captain Mauro Biello and veteran midfielder Patrick Leduc have both accepted contract extensions. Biello has come to terms for the 2009 season, while Leduc has signed a two-year deal, both contracts pending the league’s approval.

2009 will be Biello’s 15th season with Montreal (Pepe)In 2008, Biello played his 15th season with the Impact and his 16th year in the United Soccer Leagues First Division (USL). Last year, the 36-year-old Montreal midfielder started 10 of the 17 games he played for a total of 851 minutes of play. He scored one goal on August 20 in a 3-1 win against the Atlanta Silverbacks at Saputo Stadium. Throughout his career, Biello has played 325 regular season games (24,597 minutes) with the Impact. He is the all-time points leader in league history with 78 goals and 69 assists for a total of 225 points.

“I’m happy to be back with the Impact,” said Biello. “The decision to come back was easy to make, especially after qualifying for the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinals. It will be very special and I want to be part of it. I want to continue training and improve myself. I know that I can still help the club win.”

Leduc, a 31-year-old defensive midfielder from the South Shore, played 22 games in 2008 (1,818 minutes), before suffering a foot injury on August 27 against Real Estelí FC from Nicaragua, in the preliminary round of the CONCACAF Champions League. During his career, Leduc played all his 200 games in the USL First Division with the Impact, compiling 10 goals and 15 assists in 14,235 minutes of play.

“I’m very happy to continue my career with the Impact,” said Leduc, who in 2009 will be playing his 10th season in Montreal. “I sensed that the organization wanted me to continue making a contribution and it feels great to be appreciated this way. I lived incredible moments throughout my career with the Impact and last year was really special. I think that I am still able to give a lot to the team. I hope to play in Montreal as long as possible.”

"It’s great to have with us once again this year these two veterans,” said Impact head coach John Limniatis. These two Quebec players have the Impact tattooed on their hearts. Both are very appreciated among fans and bring consistency to our lineup."

The Impact has also announced that it will not grant a new contract to midfielder Antonio Ribeiro. The 28-year-old Quebec player had played the past eight seasons with Montreal, recording 10 goals and 9 assists, for 29 points in 119 regular season games.

The Impact will start its 16th training camp in club history Wednesday morning, at Catalogna Soccerplexe in Lachine. The team will train in Montreal during the next four weeks and will continue its camp in Italy, from January 31 to February 13.

© Copyright 2010 United Soccer Leagues. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 2010 Demosphere International, Inc. All rights reserved.